I went to Cambodia recently and was very impressed with the simple local food. So I bought a cookbook and tried some of the dishes at home. I am actually shocked that it turned out awesome! Here is my recipe for Cambodian Lok Lak. It is a simple meat dish, which is similar to the sweet and sour dishes we get in Singapore. Easy to cook and tastes delightful.
About 300g of chicken, cut into cubes or small pieces
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
1 tablespoon chilli sauce
1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
1 tablespoon sesame oil or any cooking oil
½ teaspoon fish sauce (don't worry if you don't have any)
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
Crushed black peppers, any amount you desire
Mix the above ingredients in a bowl. This mixture will be used to marinate the chicken pieces for about 30 minutes ( although less time is fine as well).
1 tomato cut into 8 wedges
2 fresh chillies, sliced into small pieces
Oil for stir frying
1. Place about 2 tablespoons of oil in a biggish frying pan. Heat it up.
2. Throw in the onions and stir-fry for about 2 minutes till golden brown.
3. Throw in the tomatoes and chilli slices and stir fry for about 2 minutes.
4. Throw in the marinated chicken pieces and stir fry until cooked. It should take roughly 10-15 minutes on low heat. Cook slowly so it doesn't burn and the flavours seep into the chicken.
5. You are done! Delicious Cambodian Chicken Lok Lak is ready!