INGREDIENTS (Makes 12)
1 cup wholemeal flour
1 tsp ground ginger
1½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
½ cup brown sugar
¼ cup chia seeds or flaxseeds
½ cup rolled oats, plus extra
2 packed cups of finely grated carrot (roughly 2 medium carrots)
1 packed cup of grated apple (roughly 1 medium apple)
½ cup low-fat natural yoghurt
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 12-hole muffin tin.
2. Sieve flour, ginger and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl. Add sugar, chia seeds (or flaxseeds) and rolled oats. Mix to combine, then add carrot and apple, tossing them in the dry ingredients.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg and yoghurt. Make a well in the centre of the flour and carrot mix. Add the egg and yoghurt and stir together until the mixture is just combined (do not over-stir).
4. Spoon the mixture evenly into the muffin tin. Sprinkle each with extra rolled oats and place in the oven.
5. Cook for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown on top and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack.
TIP: These muffins can be frozen, so make a batch on the weekend and freeze in individual ziplock bags
HEALTH HINT: Chia and flaxseeds are full of omega-3s, protein, fibre, minerals and antioxidants: a great health boost for what feels like a sweet treat
Post A Comment