Prep - 15 mins
Cook - 1 hr 5 mins
Ingredients for carrot-zucchini souffle
500 g carrots, peeled and cut into 1.5 cm-thick slices
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 small onion, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons plain flour
½ cup (125 ml) reduced-fat (1%) milk
4 large eggs, separated
1 medium zucchini, grated
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
Preparation for carrot-zucchini souffle
1. Steam carrots until tender in a medium saucepan over simmering water, about 20 minutes. Purée in a food processor.
2. Preheat oven to 200°C. Coat an 8-cup soufflé dish with non-stick cooking spray.
3. Heat the oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add onion. Sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 minute.
4. Stir in the milk and bring the mixture to the boil, stirring constantly. Simmer for 2–3 minutes or until slightly thickened. Lightly beat the egg yolks in a large bowl. Gradually pour in the milk mixture, whisking constantly. Stir in the carrot puree and the grated zucchini. Stir in the salt, pepper and nutmeg.
5. Beat the egg whites in a medium bowl until soft peaks form. Fold whites, a third at a time, into vegetable mixture. Spoon into the prepared dish. Bake until puffed and golden, 30 to 40 minutes. Serve at once.