Chicken and mushroom saute
This simple recipe makes for very tender chicken and is so versatile - see our variations below, and enjoy experimenting with your own.
- Quantity: 4 SERVES
- Prep Time:
- Cooking Time:
Ingredients1 1⁄2 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
1 3⁄5 kg whole chicken cut into pieces (see Basics)
1 onion chopped
200 g button mushrooms sliced
1⁄2 cup (125 ml) white wine
1⁄2 cup (125 ml) chicken stock (see Basics)
2 sprigs fresh thyme plus extra, to serve
2 tomatoes peeled, seeded and chopped
2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Heat a large heavy-based saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add the butter and olive oil.
- When the butter starts to foam, brown the chicken pieces for 3-4 minutes on all sides - you may need to do this in batches.
- Remove and set aside.Add the onion to the pan and sauté for 5 minutes, or until lightly coloured.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté for a further 5 minutes, then pour in the wine and bring to the boil.
- Add the stock, thyme sprigs, tomatoes and chicken pieces.
- Bring to a simmer, then cover and cook for 10 minutes.Remove the lid and simmer for a further 15 minutes, or until the chicken is tender and the sauce has reduced.
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper, sprinkle with the parsley and extra thyme sprigs and serve.Variations Add a tablespoon of sherry with the wine for enhanced flavour - or use red wine instead of white.
- For apricot chicken, add 400 ml apricot nectar and 8-10 dried apricots with the stock; omit the mushrooms, tomatoes and wine.
- For Basque-style chicken, use 100 g mushrooms and add 100 g diced ham, and 1 red and 1 green capsicum, cut into strips.
Have You Seen...
Advice & Tips
Health & Wellbeing
Food & Recipes
Home & Garden