Australian Meat Pie
The perfect Australian meat pie recipe!
- 2 tablespoons dripping or oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 500 g lean minced beef
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups beef stock
- 1⁄3 cup bought tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 sheets ready-rolled frozen shortcrust pastry
- 4 sheets ready-rolled frozen puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- Heat the dripping or oil in a medium frying pan. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until the onion is soft. Add the minced beef, increase the heat to high and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up any lumps for 6–8 minutes, or until the mince is brown.
- Sprinkle the flour over the meat and cook for 1 minute. Add the beef stock, tomato sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally to prevent the meat from sticking to the base of the pan, for 10 minutes, or until the sauce is thick. Stir in the parsley and season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool completely.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Using a small plate about 17 cm in diameter as a guide, cut four circles from the shortcrust pastry and use them to line the base and sides of four 1-cup pie tins. Fill the pastry with the meat mixture – avoid spilling any on the edges.
- Using the same plate as a guide, cut four circles from the puff pastry. Brush the shortcrust pastry edges of the pies with water to moisten and top with the puff pastry circle. Press the pastry edges together to secure. Trim the excess pastry with a sharp knife and crimp the edges. Cut a small cross in the centre of each pie and brush the top with beaten egg.
- Bake the pies in the preheated oven for 10 minutes, reduce the oven temperature to 180°C and bake for a further 20 minutes, or until the pastry is puffed and golden. Serve the pies immediately with some extra tomato sauce, if desired.
Preparation: 20 minutes, plus 3 hours cooling
Cooking: 55 minutes