Chicken and Vegetable Stew
This hotpot lends itself to whatever vegetables are in season – good candidates include corn, turnip, sweet potato or green beans.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 700 g boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2 cm dice
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1 cm dice
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1 cm dice
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 cm dice
- 2 cups (500 ml) chicken stock
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano or mixed herbs
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 zucchini, cut into 1 cm dice
- 1⁄2 cup (80 g) frozen peas
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornflour
- 2–3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- crusty bread or mashed potatoes, to serve
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Fry the chicken in two batches for 2–3 minutes each time, or until lightly browned. Remove and set aside.
- Sauté the onion, garlic, celery and carrots in the pan for 5 minutes, or until softened. Stir the tomato paste through, then add the potatoes, stock, herbs, worcestershire sauce and chicken.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the zucchini and peas and cook for a further 10 minutes, or until all the vegetables are soft.
- Mix the cornflour with 1/4 cup (60 ml) water until smooth, then add to the saucepan and stir for 2 minutes, or until thickened. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper and stir in the parsley.
- Serve with crusty bread or mashed potatoes.
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking: 35 minutes