Vanilla-glazed Apple Cookies
These delicious cookies are perfect for morning or afternoon tea.
- 1⁄2 cup (125 g) butter
- 1 1⁄3 cups (310 g) firmly packed soft brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup (60 ml) milk
- 2 cups (300 g) plain flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup (125 g) chopped walnuts
- 1 cup (110 g) finely diced peeled apple
- 1 cup (125 g) raisins
- 1 1⁄2 cups (185 g) icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 2-4 teaspoons milk
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and milk. Combine flour, bicarbonate of soda, nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in walnuts, apple and raisins.
- Drop rounded tablespoons of dough about 5 cm apart onto ungreased baking trays. Bake at 200°C for 8–10 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For icing, in a small bowl, combine icing sugar, butter, vanilla and salt in a small bowl. Add enough milk to achieve a drizzling consistency. Drizzle glaze over cookies.
Makes: 4 dozen