Super foods have exceptional nutritional values. Photo: Thinkstock
Super foods, such as broccoli, blueberries and salmon, contain natural ingredients with exceptional nutritional values or protective qualities.
They contain natural chemicals, compounds and nutrients that, for example, may help to protect against the impact of diseases such as cancer and Type 2 diabetes, as well as fight the effects of ageing, help to lower cholesterol levels and improve mental alertness.
Here are five top reasons for including more super foods in your daily diet:
• Super foods will help you to meet the seven-a-day fruit and vegetable target that health professionals recommend as a minimum daily amount to protect your body and maintain wellbeing.
• Many super foods such as lentils and oats have a low glycaemic index (GI) value, which means that their carbohydrates are absorbed slowly into the bloodstream. Such foods stave off hunger and keep you feeling full for longer, so helping with weight control.
• Many super foods such as wholewheat pasta and carrots are a good source of fibre. This helps your digestive system to work effectively, and some forms of fibre can help to lower cholesterol.
• All super foods are low in, or free from, the ‘bad’ fats, such as saturates and trans fats, which can increase the risk of heart disease.
• Super foods naturally provide high levels of the essential vitamins and minerals that your body needs for a healthy nervous system, a fully functioning brain and other key bodily processes, such as the regulation of blood clotting and the efficient working of your cells and organs.
Download the Super Food Benefits Chart below for a list of the main super foods and the health conditions they can help to reduce and possibly even prevent, as well as their positive health benefits in the body.
Post A Comment
Disclaimer : Reader's Digest reserves the right and authority to display your postings or not, and modify your posts to remove offensive material, remove vulgar comments, remove insults or delete any other content deemed inappropriate, at our discretion.