The coronavirus may live on certain surfaces for days
There’s so much we still don’t know about the coronavirus, and what we don’t know can make us sick. What we do know is that in a preliminary study, the virus can remain viable for up to 24 hours on cardboard and for two to three days on plastic and stainless steel; though another study comparing it to SARS and MERS found it may be able to live on glass, metal, and plastic for up to nine days. Bottom line: it’s best to disinfect. Here’s how.
Head to your laundry room and grab that bottle of bleach, according to Consumer Reports. Bleach is a great defence against viruses, and it has been a long-time cleaning staple in and outside the laundry room. Don’t use it straight from the bottle though as that would be way too strong. Instead, mix a solution of ½ cup of bleach to a gallon of water. Use this to disinfect everything in your kitchen from the sink to the floor. You can even soak your child’s toys in a bleach mixture of 2 teaspoons bleach to 1 gallon of water, soak for two minutes, then rinse. Make sure you wear gloves when you use the beach, as it can be irritating and drying for your hands. Lastly, don’t keep the bleach solution for more than a few days, because bleach degrades some plastic containers.
Head to the medicine cabinet, this time. Per the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, common hydrogen peroxide (it should say 3 per cent on it) will deactivate the rhinovirus, which is what causes the common cold. Technically, it “produces destructive hydroxyl free radicals that can attack membrane lipids, DNA and essential cell components.” Since the rhinovirus is thought to be more difficult to axe than the coronavirus, it’s believed that hydrogen peroxide will work for this as well. Simply pop it into a spray bottle and spray it onto a surface. Let it sit for a few minutes before wiping away.