- 1 1/4 cups (125 g) rolled (porridge) oats
- 2 tablespoons chopped pistachios, lightly toasted
- 1 cup (250 ml) skim milk
Dried fruit compote
- 1/3 cup (40 g) raisins
- 1/4 cup (35 g) diced dried apricots
- 1/4 cup (30 g) dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- To make the dried fruit compote, combine the raisins, apricots, cranberries and sugar, if using, in a saucepan. Pour in 1 cup (250 ml) water, and stir to dissolve the sugar. Cover and cook over low heat until simmering, then simmer for 5 minutes. Uncover the pan, slightly increase the heat and cook, stirring occasionally, for a further 5 minutes, until the fruit is soft and the liquid has reduced. Stir in the cinnamon and remove from the heat.
- While the compote is cooking, combine the oats and 3 cups (750 ml) cold water in a saucepan. Slowly bring to a boil over medium–low heat, stirring often. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring often, for 5 minutes, until the oats are soft and creamy.
- Serve the oatmeal straight away, topped with the dried fruit compote, sprinkled with the pistachios and drizzled with the milk.