- 500 g apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1⅓ cups (250 g) dried pears
- 1¾ cups (245 g) dried peaches
- 350 ml apple juice
- ½ teaspoon mixed spice
- 1½ teaspoons lemon juice, or to taste (optional)
- Place the apples, pears, peaches, apple juice, mixed spice and ½ cup (125 ml) water into a heavy–based saucepan.
- Set the pan over a high heat and bring the fruit mixture to the boil, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, or until the mixture is reduced to a pulp and no liquid is visible on the surface.
- Stir frequently to prevent the mixture from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow the mixture to cool slightly.
- Then taste and stir in the lemon juice if the mixture is too sweet.
- Transfer the fruit mixture to a food processor or blender and process to a thick purée.
- Leave to cool completely before serving.
- The spread can be kept, covered, in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
MAKES 1 KG
Preparation: 10 minutes, plus cooling
Cooking: about 30 minutes