- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 8 chicken thighs, about 500 g in total
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 300 ml chicken stock
- 3 carrots, halved crosswise, then each half cut into 6–8 thick fingers
- 1 bulb of fennel, halved lengthwise, then cut crosswise into slices
- 300 g ripe but firm apricots, pitted and quartered
- salt and pepper
- chopped fennel leaves from the bulb, or herb fennel, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole dish and fry the chicken thighs for 5–10 minutes, turning occasionally, until golden brown all over.
- Remove from the pan.
- Add the onion and garlic to the casserole dish and fry for 5 minutes, or until soft and golden.
- Stir in all the spices and fry for 1 minute, then add the stock.
- Return the chicken to the casserole dish together with the carrots and fennel.
- Bring to the boil.
- Stir well, then cover and simmer gently for 30 minutes, or until the chicken is tender.
- Remove the lid.
- If there is too much liquid, boil to reduce it slightly.
- Add the apricots to the casserole dish and stir gently to mix.
- Simmer over a low heat for a further 5 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with the fennel leaves and serve with rice or potatoes.
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking: about 50 minutes