- 300 ml boiling water
- 1 vegetable stock cube, crumbled, or 2 teaspoons vegetable stock powder
- 1 litre tomato juice
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 large potato, scrubbed and diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1⅔ cups (100 g) frozen broccoli florets
- 1⅓ cups (100 g) finely shredded or coarsely chopped white cabbage
- ½ cup (60 g) frozen sliced green beans
- ⅓ cup (50 g) frozen peas
- ⅓ cup (50 g) frozen broad beans
- 8 large sprigs of fresh basil
- Pour the boiling water into a saucepan.
- Stir in the stock cube or powder, the tomato juice, garlic, spring onions, potato and carrot.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and cover the pan.
- Simmer the soup for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Use a sharp knife to cut any large frozen broccoli florets into smaller pieces, then add them to the soup with the cabbage, green beans, peas and broad beans.
- Bring the soup back to the boil, then reduce the heat slightly, but keep the soup simmering rapidly.
- Cook for about 5 minutes or until the vegetables are just tender but still crisp.
- Taste and season the soup, then ladle it into warm bowls.
- Use scissors to snip half the basil into shreds and scatter over the soup, discarding the tough ends of the sprigs.
- Add a whole sprig of basil to each portion and serve at once.
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking: about 20 minutes