- 400 g lean lamb mince
- 1 carrot, about 125 g, grated
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup (55 g) fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
- pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 wholemeal hamburger buns
- salt and pepper
- shredded lettuce to garnish
Orange and raspberry relish
- 1 orange
- 3/4 cup (90 g) fresh or thawed frozen raspberries
- 2 teaspoons raw sugar
- Preheat the grill.
- Put the lamb into a large bowl. Add the carrot, onion, breadcrumbs, nutmeg and thyme, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix roughly with a spoon.
- Add the egg and use your hands to mix the ingredients together thoroughly.
- Divide the mixture into 4 and shape each portion into a burger about 10–12 cm in diameter, or about 2.5 cm bigger than the diameter of the hamburger buns.
- Brush both sides of the burgers with oil, then put them in the grill pan.
- Cook for 4–5 minutes on each side, depending on thickness.
- Meanwhile, make the relish. Cut the peel and pith from the orange with a sharp knife and, holding it over a bowl to catch the juice, cut between the membrane to release the segments.
- Roughly chop the segments and add them to the juice.
- Add the raspberries and sugar, lightly crushing the fruit with a fork to mix it together.
- Split the buns and toast briefly under the grill.
- Put a lamb burger in each bun and add some lettuce to garnish and a good spoonful of relish.
- Serve with the remaining relish.