- ½ cup (125 ml) milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 floury potato (e.g. russet (idaho) or king edward), peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Place the milk, bay leaf and a pinch of salt in a small saucepan.
- Heat gently until just boiling, then remove from the heat and set aside to infuse while you cook the potatoes.
- Place the potatoes in a saucepan and pour over boiling water to cover by 5 cm.
- Bring back to the boil, then reduce the heat and cook for 15–20 minutes or until the potatoes are very tender.
- Drain the potatoes, shaking the colander or sieve to remove any excess water, and return them to the pan.
- Discard the bay leaf and pour the milk over the potatoes.
- Mash the potatoes until they are completely smooth.
- Add the oil, then beat in seasoning to taste.
- Serve immediately.