- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small bulb of fennel, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 500 g mixed fresh mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1 litre boiling water
- 1½ vegetable stock cubes, crumbled, or 1 tablespoon vegetable stock powder
- 8 thin slices ciabatta bread
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large saucepan.
- Add the onion and fennel and cook over a high heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until slightly softened.
- Stir in the garlic and mushrooms.
- Continue to cook, stirring frequently, for a further 5 minutes.
- Pour in the boiling water and stir in the stock cubes or powder.
- Bring back to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer the soup, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the grill.
- Brush the slices of ciabatta bread lightly on both sides with the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil and toast them under the grill for about 1 minute on each side or until golden.
- Cut the bread into cubes and place in a bowl.
- Add the parsley and mint and toss well.
- Taste the soup and add seasoning if necessary.
- Ladle the soup into bowls.
- Sprinkle with the parsley and mint croutons and serve.
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking: about 20 minutes