- 250 g fine rice noodles
- 600 ml chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 500 g skinless chicken breast fillets, thinly sliced
- 250 g carrots, sliced
- 200 g snow peas
- 1 can sliced bamboo shoots, about 220 g, drained
- 125 g shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 115 g Chinese cabbage, shredded
- 3 tablespoons mirin (sweet rice wine)
- juice of 1 lemon
- juice of 1½ limes
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 90 ml dark soy sauce
- The ponzu sauce can be made a day or more in advance.
- Pour the mirin into a small saucepan, bring to the boil over a high heat and boil for 30 seconds so that the alcohol evaporates.
- Stir in all the remaining sauce ingredients and remove from the heat.
- Pour into a dish, cover and set aside.
- Place the noodles in a bowl and pour in cold water to cover.
- Leave to soak for 10 minutes, then drain and set aside.
- Bring the chicken stock to the boil in a large flameproof casserole dish.
- Reduce the heat so that the stock simmers, then add the chicken pieces and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the carrots and bring back to simmering point, then cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the snow peas and bamboo shoots and simmer for a further 2–3 minutes.
- Stir in the mushrooms and shredded Chinese cabbage, bring back to simmering point again and cook for 2–3 minutes.
- Finally, stir in the rice noodles, bring back to simmering point and cook for 2–3 minutes or until the noodles are hot.
- Divide the ponzu sauce among 4 small bowls.
- Ladle the casserole into warm serving bowls.
- Serve at once, offering the ponzu sauce with the casserole, so that bite–sized pieces can be dipped before they are eaten.
Preparation: 15 minutes, plus 10 minutes soaking
Cooking: about 30 minutes