- 250 g (8 oz) dried rice stick noodles
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 2–4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 long red or green chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- 350 g (12 oz) skinless, boneless chicken breast fillets, thinly sliced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups (180 g) bean sprouts, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon salt–reduced soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- dried red chilli flakes, to taste (optional)
- 1 bunch fresh chives, snipped, to garnish
- ¼ cup (40 g) roasted peanuts, chopped, to garnish
- lime wedges, to serve
- Soak the noodles according to the packet instructions.
- Drain well and set aside.
- Heat the sunflower oil in a wok or large non–stick frying pan over medium–high heat.
- Add the garlic, onion and chilli, and stir–fry for 1 minute, or until softened.
- Add the chicken and stir–fry for 2 minutes, or until lightly coloured.
- Push the chicken to one side of the wok to make room for the eggs.
- Pour the eggs into the wok and stir gently until lightly scrambled.
- Add the noodles and ¼ cup (60 ml) water to the pan, then add the bean sprouts, soy sauce, fish sauce and lime juice and stir–fry for 2 minutes.
- Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and add the chilli flakes, if using.
- Transfer to a serving dish, garnish with chives and peanuts.
- Serve immediately, with lime wedges on the side.
Preparation: 20 minutes, plus overnight soaking
Cooking: 10 minutes