- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 500 g diced pumpkin, about 675 g unpeeled weight
- 1 potato, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 litre vegetable stock, preferably homemade light
- 150 ml low–fat milk
- ⅓ cup (90 g) fromage frais or yogurt
- ⅔ cup (95 g) hazelnuts, roughly chopped and toasted
- 2⅓ cups (350 g) self–raising flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 85 g butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 200 ml low–fat milk
- ⅓ cup (90 g) fromage frais or yogurta little paprika
- 4 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan.
- Add the onion and cook over a moderate heat for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the pumpkin and cook for 4–5 minutes or until softened but not browned.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove 100 g of the fried onion and pumpkin mixture and reserve it for the muffins.
- Add the potato, garlic and rosemary to the pan.
- Cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, then pour in the stock and add seasoning to taste.
- Bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover the pan and leave to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the muffins.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Finely chop the reserved fried pumpkin and onion, then place in a bowl.
- Add the hazelnuts, flour, baking powder, butter, chopped rosemary, eggs and milk.
- Use a fork to mix the ingredients together until evenly combined, being careful not to overmix.
- Place 12 deep paper muffin cases in a muffin tray with cups measuring 5 cm in diameter and 3 cm deep.
- Divide the mixture among the cases.
- Bake for 12–15 minutes or until risen, golden and cracked across the top.
- Remove the muffins from the tray and wrap them in a clean tea towel to keep them warm.
- Purée the soup in a blender or food processor until smooth, or purée in the pan using a handheld blender.
- Return the soup to the pan, if necessary, and stir in the milk and fromage frais or yogurt.
- Reheat gently but do not boil.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Ladle the soup into warm bowls.
- Garnish with fromage frais, paprika and sprigs of rosemary, and serve with the warm muffins.
Preparation: 35 minutes
Cooking: about 45 minutes