- 850 ml full–cream milk
- ¼ cup (55 g) caster sugar
- finely grated zest of 1 orange
- ½ cup (110 g) short–grain rice
- ½ cup (60 g) sultanas
- ground cinnamon to sprinkle
- Apricot compote
- 300 g fresh ripe apricots, halved and stoned
- juice of 1 orange
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- Pour the milk into a saucepan, and add the sugar and orange zest.
- Heat gently, stirring, until the sugar dissolves and the milk is almost boiling.
- Put the rice and sultanas in a shallow 1.
- 5 litre ovenproof dish.
- Pour over the milk mixture and stir.
- Bake the pudding for 30 minutes, then stir well.
- Leave to bake for a further 45 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the pudding is creamy.
- Meanwhile, to make the compote, combine the apricots, orange juice and cinnamon stick in a heavy–based saucepan.
- Cover and cook over a low heat for 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid and cook for a further 5 minutes, or until the juice is reduced.
- Remove the cinnamon stick from the compote.
- Sprinkle the top of the rice pudding with a little cinnamon, then serve hot, with the apricot compote.