- 2 tablespoons salt–reduced soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon soft brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 500 g (1 lb) firm tofu, cut into large rectangles, about 3 cm (1¼ inch) thick
- ¾ cup (180 ml) salt–reduced chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons cornflour (cornstarch)
- 3 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 large red capsicum (bell pepper), halved, seeded and thinly sliced
- 200 g (7 oz) green beans, cut into 5 cm (2 inch) lengths
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- garlic, crushed 2 spring onions (scallions), thinly sliced
- Combine the soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger and a pinch of salt in a shallow bowl.
- Add the tofu, cut–side down, cover and set aside for 1 hour to marinate.
- Remove the tofu, reserving the marinade, then cut the tofu into 3 cm (1¼ inch) chunks.
- Stir the stock and cornflour into the reserved marinade.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a wok or large non–stick frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the capsicum, beans, carrots, garlic and spring onions and cook for 5 minutes, or until the capsicum is tender.
- Add the marinade and tofu and bring to mixture to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 4 minutes, or until the sauce is slightly thickened and the tofu is heated through.
- Serve immediately.
Preparation: 15 minutes, plus 1 hour marinating
Cooking: 10 minutes