- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 can cannellini beans, about 400 g, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons crème fraîche or sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- salt and pepper
- 1 thin baguette, about 250 g3 roma tomatoes, thinly sliced
- rocket or sprigs of fresh herbs to garnish
- Heat the oil in a small frying pan, add the onion and garlic, and cook gently for about 10 minutes, or until softened, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, place the cannellini beans in a bowl and mash with a potato masher or fork.
- Remove the pan of onion and garlic from the heat and stir in the mashed beans, the crème fraîche or sour cream and thyme.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and mix well.
- Keep warm while preparing the toasts.
- Preheat the grill to high.
- Cut the crusty ends off the baguette and discard, then cut the loaf into 22 equal slices, each about 1.
- 5 cm thick.
- Toast the bread slices on both sides under the grill.
- (The toasts can be left to cool and then kept in an airtight container; when ready to serve, top with the cooled bean mixture, and garnish.
- )Thickly spread some bean mixture over each slice of toast, top with a tomato slice and garnish with rocket or fresh herb sprigs.
MAKES 22 CROSTINI
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking: about 15 minutes