- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 12 baby corn
- 1 small or ½ large butternut pumpkin, about 600 g, peeled, quartered lengthwise, seeded and cut across into 2.5 cm slices
- 1 eggplant, halved lengthwise and cut across into 2.5 cm slices
- 1 sweet red capsicum, seeded and cut into 1 cm pieces
- 100 ml dry white wine
- 2 cups (500 ml) hot vegetable stock, preferably homemade light or rich
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- finely shredded or coarsely grated zest of 1 lemon
- ⅓ cup (20 g) chopped fresh parsley
- 1⅓ cups (200 g) instant polenta
- ⅓ cup (50 g) freshly grated parmesan
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole dish.
- Add the onion wedges and corn and fry over a moderate heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Add the slices of pumpkin to the casserole, toss them in the oil and then stir in the eggplant and capsicum.
- Cover and leave the vegetables to sweat over a low to moderate heat for 10 minutes, turning them twice, until they are lightly tinged golden brown.
- Pour in the wine, let it sizzle and then stir in the stock.
- Bring to the boil and add seasoning to taste.
- Cover the casserole and cook in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the topping.
- Preheat the grill to high.
- Spread the slivered almonds on a baking tray and toast under the grill until they are lightly browned.
- Watch them closely and shake the tray occasionally to ensure the nuts are evenly toasted.
- Place in a small bowl and mix in the remaining topping ingredients.
- To prepare the polenta, bring 1 litre water to the boil in a large saucepan over a high heat.
- Gradually whisk in the polenta and continue whisking until it absorbs all the liquid.
- Reduce the heat to moderate and cook for 5–10 minutes, stirring, until the polenta is thick.
- Beat in the parmesan and oregano with seasoning to taste.
- To serve, spoon the polenta onto plates or into large individual bowls.
- Ladle the vegetable casserole on top and sprinkle with the topping.
Preparation: about 20 minutes
Cooking: about 45 minutes