- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 500 g chicken mince
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 red or yellow capsicum, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can chopped tomatoes, about 400 g
- 1 litre chicken stock, preferably homemade
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder, or to taste
- 200 g zucchini, diced
- 150 g fresh or frozen corn, thawed if necessary
- 1 can borlotti or kidney beans, about 400 g, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 avocados
- 100 g cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 6 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup (45 g) chopped rocket
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a high heat.
- Add the mince and cook for about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned.
- Reduce the heat to moderate and add the onion, celery, capsicum and garlic.
- Continue cooking, stirring frequently, for about 2 minutes or until the onion begins to soften.
- Stir in the tomatoes with the juice from the can, the stock, coriander, cumin, oregano and chilli powder.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover the pan and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- Add the zucchini, corn and borlotti or kidney beans to the soup.
- Bring back to the boil, then reduce the heat to low and cover the pan again.
- Simmer the soup for a further 10 minutes or until the zucchini are just tender.
- Meanwhile, wrap the stack of tortillas tightly in foil and heat in the oven for about 10 minutes or until warmed through and soft.
- To make the salsa, place the lime juice in a bowl.
- Halve, stone, peel and dice the avocados, then add to the bowl and gently toss them in the lime juice (this will prevent them from discolouring).
- Gently mix in the tomatoes, spring onions and rocket, adding seasoning to taste.
- Take care not to break up the diced avocados.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the soup into warm bowls and serve.
- The salsa can either be spooned on top of the soup or wrapped in the warm tortillas and eaten as an accompaniment.
Preparation: 35 minutes
Cooking: about 45 minutes