Ingredients2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 large bulbs of fennel, halved and very thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
8 spring onions, cut into 2.5 cm lengths
3 small oranges
4 red mullet, about 200 g each, scaled and gutted, and heads removed if liked
salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the fennel, garlic and spring onions, and cook over a moderate heat for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Meanwhile, squeeze the juice from one of the oranges.
- Cut the peel and pith from the remaining 2 oranges and, holding them over the orange juice container, cut between the membrane to release the segments, capturing the segments in the container.
- Divide the fennel mixture and orange segments among 4 large sheets of baking paper.
- Slash each fish 3–4 times on both sides, then place on top of the vegetables and orange.
- Sprinkle the orange juice over the top, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Wrap the paper round the fish and fold over to seal each parcel.
- Place the parcels on a baking tray and bake for 12–15 minutes or until the fish is cooked.
- Set the parcels on individual serving plates still sealed, so they can be opened at the table.